Malabrigo Gentleman’s Shooting Stockings from Knitting Vintage Socks. The shade is Alcaucil, a beautiful charcoal, chocolate, forest green yarn with hints of ice blue with just the right light. Cast on: 1/13/11 Cast off: 1/31/11
I had never used Malabrigo before, ever. Oh, yum. Now, the winding of the yarn was a pain but working with the yarn almost made me forget. Everyone should have a pair of socks knit with Malabrigo! I think the recipient of these will enjoy them, they will be winging their way out in the next few days. Tomorrow I plan to wash them and I may add another photo (I know, another) if I get a good one in daylight. The colors in these photos are pretty true despite being taken at night in my living room.
After typing the above, I remembered that actually I had begun working with Malabrigo before and bailed on the project. That skein was hard to wind too but it won’t deter me. I started a Whisper Cardigan for myself last spring and as I assessed all my ‘on-the-needles’ projects, I ripped it. I still plan to knit the cardigan using that same Malabrigo but I’ve misplaced the pattern. Since the laceweight is so delicate, I thought it might be better to start all over later rather than leaving on the needles for who knows how long.
A few years back, when Ravelry first started, I spotted a group who’s goal was to knit a pair of socks from their own stash each month. Partly in keeping with frugality and also with stashbusting as a goal. I joined the group but never did actually follow through (I know, that doesn’t sound like me and knitting at all!). But, after seeing how well it seemed to work for Stephanie last year I decided to do the same this year. Unfortunately I still have four months that I need to match patterns to yarn but I *do* have the yarn separated out. It took me until the middle of January just to pick the yarn for twelve months. The part that really wasn’t reasonable is that I should have been knitting on the January sock all along because I knew the Malabrigo Gentleman’s Shooting Stockings were first. Instead, I waited until halfway through the month to cast on. Still, I’m especially pleased with myself that the last sock and a half were knit in a day and a half. So there you have it, January socks.
If I could just knit at that speed and with that motivation all the time …
*um, yes, we live Around our coffee table.